Comments about the GUI

need a feature, suggest here

Comments about the GUI

Postby araceli » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:29 am

I should start by saying that I'm looking forward to having a *lot* of fun with guitarix. However:

I personally have issues with this "real-world" style of GUI. It *looks* great, but it's not easy to use, and I'd much prefer something which uses standard GUI elements and can be controlled intuitively without fiddling around with the mouse to see if something does something. The keyboard support currently is OK, but there's no indication which control is active, so you don't know what your keypress will actually do, or if you've accidentally selected something else.

Since it probably isn't fair to expect you to redesign the GUI completely, I suggest, therefore:

- Work on the basis that *everything* should be accessible with the keyboard.
- Make it clear which control will currently receive keyboard input (changing its colour, drawing a box around it, or whatever). Then being able to press Tab will actually be useful.
- Decide on a standard and obvious set of input keys, and use them wherever appropriate - up/down to change a value, home/end to select the maximum/minimum, alt+Enter to change properties, and so on.
- Make better use of alt+key shortcuts to access different parts of the GUI. Don't forget that you can also use shift+control, shift+alt, and the function keys.

I'm also not convinced that it's really necessary to be able to select different tubes with shift+key, but that's not so much of an issue.

All this should turn guitarix from a good piece of software into a great one :-)
araceli

Return to Suggestion Box