Illogical Master Volume ...

need a feature, suggest here

Illogical Master Volume ...

Postby Yruama_Lairba » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:34 pm

After a long time, I was adapted with, but with the new GUI, i made the confusion again.I think i'm not the only who made the confusion,So i think it's something to change.

In guitarix, effect act at it place, in other word, effect on the top are the first in the audio chain. Logically, as the master volume is on the head-amp simulation, we expect a volume change just after the head, in Particular when we understood "master gain" can sometimes act as "power amp gain" resulting in power amp distortion. We didn't expect the "master volume" act as as a volume at the very end off the audio chain, as in current case.
Yruama_Lairba

Re: Illogical Master Volume ...

Postby brummer10 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:57 am

Hi

You are right, the Master Volume controller is the only one, which isn't on the right place to reflect it's place in the chain, beside the VU-meter in the amp interface, which suffer from the same issue.
But, we would like to have it in a "prominent Place", so we put it in the main interface.
I've added now a tooltip to the Master Volume, to make clear what it is for.

hope that will lower the confusion.

regards
hermann
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby Yruama_Lairba » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:22 pm

in fact, there is two factor helped me to make confusion :

The way work other amp simulation software
I was familiar with pod farm 2, but amplitube, guitar rig and others tend to have the same model for this detail :

In this softwares, you have global output knob, input knob and noise gate that are alway visible and not associate with preset. this allow quick adaption depending on the software environnement (different guitar, different preamp, volume balance with other app...)

there is also a " preset associated non-prominent(s) neutral volume knob(s)" placed after the amp or at the end of the audio path. this allow volume balance between preset.

The way i build preset
When i build preset, i try to keep a reasonnable and constant volume along the audio path to avoid brutal volume change and unexpected result . So, in my particular case, a neutral volume on the amp-head would be more usefull than the current master volume (almost always 0 since i understood how it works).

have somebody an opinion ?
Yruama_Lairba

Postby gimmeapill » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:37 am

Hi All,

Thanks for the tool tip next to the master volume, this was far from clear for me either.

I think what is then needed is more generally to ensure that the signal doesn't peak between devices, no?
Some kind of blinking overload detection on input on each device maybe?

BR,

LX
gimmeapill

Postby brummer10 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:43 am

gimmeapill wrote:I think what is then needed is more generally to ensure that the signal doesn't peak between devices, no?

No, internal in the engine, and even internal in jack, there is no limit (or at least it is at 3.4028234664e+38 which is the maximum value which could be represented by a float)
Some plugs just start to sound nice, when they are heavily overloaded. :metal1:
The limiting to 1 - (-1) becomes true just when the signal enter the sound-card, so the level control (Master Volume) is there to do this limiting.

The included recorder plugs, have a clip detector and a level control, so you could limit your records to don't clip, even when you record directly after a overdrive plug, before the Master Volume.
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby gimmeapill » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:55 pm

Good to know, thanks for clarification ;-)
gimmeapill

Return to Suggestion Box