Extended range for the tuner

need a feature, suggest here

Extended range for the tuner

Postby gimmeapill » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:04 pm

The chromatic tuner works well (I mean it is precise and responsive enough), but it lacks range on both sides:
- Up: stops at b5 which is not enough for proper intonation tuning of the high E on a standard guitar.
- Down: needs at least one more octave for the bass (ideally down to low B for a 5 string bass - should be B2 unless I'm mistaken).

I didn't find any user setting to alter that behavior. If this is due to a technical limitation, maybe a switch guitar/bass mode could be useful?

Cheers,

LX
gimmeapill

Re: Extended range for the tuner

Postby brummer10 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:03 pm

Hi

Well, the limit in the upper range is indeed a technical limitation we have, due to the used pitch tracker technique (we are going for the maxima, not for the fundamental). So, we could precisely and fast track frequency’s up to 1000hz (B5). The tuner could track higher frequency’s, true, but lost precision then, so we cut of the result (not present).
On the down side, I cant reproduce the issue, the tracker works for the range from 20hz to 1000hz, so I could track easily, fast and precise the A0 (27,5hz) here.
There isn't any user setting for the tracker range, as the full possible range is in use anyway.
Using a other technique will result in a much higher CPU usage for the tracker, and, will be a way slower. You could check out X42's tuna, which use the fundamental technique, which expand the upper range, but have it's cost.

regards
hermann
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby Broomy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:13 pm

I can tune a low G of a bass guitar easily, lower then a low E it can get a bit fussy.
I have a low C (one step above a low B), which I tune by making a harmonic half way the string.

From what I recall from using other tuners: all get a bit wobbly in the low end.
Broomy

Postby gimmeapill » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:18 am

OK, fair enough, I was mostly curious of the reason behind those limitations - that sounds like a reasonable compromise, don't make it slower ;-)
On the high side, this is just a corner case, as I guess not everyone tune the intonation on their guitar. And if they do, they probably stop at the 12th fret.
On the low side, I double checked with the bass and it drops the ball just below G1, so it still misses a bit to go down to open E. Not a biggie for me either as I'm used to the harmonic method (and have other tuners at home).
One more question: I'm testing at 96khz, does it make a difference vs 44.1?
gimmeapill

Postby brummer10 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:23 am

gimmeapill wrote:One more question: I'm testing at 96khz, does it make a difference vs 44.1?

That may be, as our tracker use a fixed fft size of 2048 samples, were we do a downsampling of factor 2 before, which means we analyze 4096 samples from the incoming signal.
With a SampleRate of 96khz you've the double amount of samples for the same period then with 44,1, so, in comparison we analyze the half of the signal amount under 96khz. That may be not enough samples to represent lower Notes then G1.
Maybe I put a fixed rate resampler before the tuner, so that the tuner will always run with the same samplerate (48khz maybe), and so, with the same amount of the signal portion, to ensure that the tuner will get enough samples to represent the A0.
Maybe on 96khz the tuner will be a bit slower then, . .

regards
hermann
brummer10
Site Admin

Return to Suggestion Box