Improved Bass Amplifier

need a feature, suggest here

Improved Bass Amplifier

Postby Quixoticelixer » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:09 pm

The current alembic bass amplifier isn't ideal, it seems that you should use a tube in the amp but they are all to distorted and designed for use with guitars. If we could make a setup that is better suited to bass that would be great.
Quixoticelixer

Re: Improved Bass Amplifier

Postby ParadoxGuitarist » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:46 am

I would imagine that would involve getting IR files of bass rigs.

I haven't seen too many bass rigs that are tube based. Victor Wooten's Hartkey rig is solid state. I see a lot of gigging bassists with solid state Markbass, Hartkey, and Acoustic rigs.

Maybe brummer10 can weigh in on creating Impluse Responses from rigs? I don't know if he has a standard or not. I have a Fender Rumble100 I could make an IR from. (not great but not the worst... probably better than using a Vox IR) I think it has an output, so theoretically I could do a tonestack (more useful) as well.

Theoretically, I could think of several different ways you could code a tonestack with multiple IRs to get a good replication, but it would be best to hear it from brummer10 with what would be the most useful.
ParadoxGuitarist

Postby brummer10 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:26 am

Maybe some dedicated IIR filters will help, try some of our newest
"Hogs Foot" or "TheMole" before and after the amp to avoid the amplification of the higher frequencies.
But at least, you are right, our tube emulations have guitar signal in mind.
ParadoxGuitarist wrote:I would imagine that would involve getting IR files of bass rigs.

Well, that would be the easy way, for clean sounds that will be suitable, A couple of (Bass-amp) IR-files floating around in the net, just load them into the convolver.
ParadoxGuitarist wrote:Maybe brummer10 can weigh in on creating Impluse Responses from rigs? I don't know if he has a standard or not.

Not really a standard, but we've a experimental tool to create IR-files.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4508
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby ParadoxGuitarist » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:14 am

Not really a standard, but we've a experimental tool to create IR-files.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4508

For tone stacks, are you using 1 impulse per "knob" ? Then the tone stack plugin in guitarix is mixing the IR's based off of what levels the plugin the program is at?

So submitting I would turn the tone down on all of them (lows, mids, highs) then boost one, push a tone sweep, record the results, edit to the start of the sweep, then the recorded output is ready for the final processing/output. Alternate the process until the tone stack is complete?

If we were going to submit something, do you have a preference in what you would like the resulting IR to be published as? Sample rate, bit depth, mono/stereo, Multiple formats, ect?
ParadoxGuitarist

Postby brummer10 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:14 pm

ParadoxGuitarist wrote:For tone stacks, are you using 1 impulse per "knob" ? Then the tone stack plugin in guitarix is mixing the IR's based off of what levels the plugin the program is at?

No, for tonestacks, we simulate the stack from the circuit schematic, by generate a IIR (Infinity Impulse Response) filter. Like this one here:
http://sourceforge.net/p/guitarix/blog/ ... fuzz-face/

Using IR-files for that will be a overkill in therms of CPU usage and usability.
But, anyhow, IR-files are almost very welcome, when we could distribute them under the GNU.
And therefore we ain’t have any requirement in Samplerate or bit depth, (they get converted on the fly when needed)
Only, we can just use mono or stereo format, no ambisonic.
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby ParadoxGuitarist » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:19 am

No, for tonestacks, we simulate the stack from the circuit schematic, by generate a IIR (Infinity Impulse Response) filter

Hmm. Good to know.

What about for a bass cab? I think My cab has a 15" speaker with a 2" tweeter. It would be easy to grab an IR of that as well.
ParadoxGuitarist

Postby brummer10 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:31 pm

That would be very welcome, if we could distribute it under the GNU.
brummer10
Site Admin

Return to Suggestion Box