Guitarix triggering GUI color change in Ardour

Found a bug ? Report here

Guitarix triggering GUI color change in Ardour

Postby Sash » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:55 pm

I don't know exactly if this is a Guitarix or Ardour bug, or there's some bug in Unity, as is suggested in Linux Musicians forum, but it occurs only when I load this specific plugin

It has a white background, as opposed to other gx plugins, and It changes the color of Ardour's interface.

Forgot to mention that both Ardour and Guitarix are the most recent versions, built from source.
Sash

Re: Guitarix triggering GUI color change in Ardour

Postby brummer10 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:26 pm

Sash wrote:It has a white background, as opposed to other gx plugins, and It changes the color of Ardour's interface.

Hi Sash
welcome to the forum and thanks for your report.

But what you see here as "It has a white background", is in fact already a window from Ardour, as we talk about plugins, the only gui elements from the plugin be inside the Image, the frame around is already owned by Ardour. A plugin "normally" cant change the color of this frame.
So now, if that happens, it is a sign that something went wrong during reading the gtk-rc-style-file.
If you start ardour3 in a terminal, you will get some output in the case that the gtk-engine have trouble with style information.

I'm myself use Ardour-3.3 on debian/sid with LXDE desktop manager, and all works like suspected. I don't know, if you have more desktop manager's then unity installed, if so, you may check if that happens with others as well, or only with unity. It could also just be the selected theme engine (some of them be really crappy written).
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby gtrman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:41 pm

I have noticed this issue too. It only happens with self built versions of Ardour. The problem does not happen with the Ardour bundle. I just tried running a self built Ardour from the terminal but i get no new messages when this issue occurs. It doesn't happen when adding the plugin but rather when the plugin is opened up. It happens with some but not all of the guitarix lv2 plugins(gxamplifier always does it). The issue goes away if you go to Ardours theme manager and reset it to default but that's frustrating to have to do all the time. Any idea on what could be causing this?
gtrman

Postby brummer10 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:53 pm

gtrman wrote:Any idea on what could be causing this?

Unity??

The guitarix plugs and also Ardour using the gtk rc style system. I've take care to make all style identifier unique. So the style settings in the gxplugs didn't match any setting in Ardour, that mean under "normal" circumstances they "can't" touch the Ardour UI..
It's indeed a bit problematic because the gxplugs run in the address space of Ardour, but with well written desktop managers it work very well.
The only solution to avoid this kind of trouble is, use a decent window manager.
Otherwise I only can remove the styling from the gx_plugs. :cry:

greets
hermann
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby gtrman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Unity??

Nope, I use both XFCE and LXDE and have come across this problem on both machines.
gtrman

Postby brummer10 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:05 pm

mm, okay that's new to me, I use LXDE and XFCE as well, both without ever seen this.
Maybe I really needs to remove the styling??

With which plugs didn't that happen ever? Maybe I could reduce the styling to those parts which ever work.
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby gtrman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:34 pm

I have just gone through all the lv2 plugins. I really thought that i recalled it happening with some others but having gone through them all, the only culprit is the GxAmplifier, both mono and stereo versions.
gtrman

Postby brummer10 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:04 pm

Okay, then I've a idea what lead to this behavior. I've just pushed a "maybe fix" to git. As I said, I cant reproduce it here, so I cant really say it's fixed. Could you please try it it and report back.
If not, I will remove the skinning behavior and use just one amp-skin for all. (same behave then all other plugs then)
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby gtrman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:31 pm

I am having trouble compiling it at the moment (Debian 7). I don't normally have this issue and have successfully compliled it on previous occasions. It configures ok but it stops halfway through the build and i get this -

Code: Select all
[317/683] dsp: src/LV2/faust/mbc.dsp -> build/default/src/LV2/faust/mbc.cc
[318/683] dsp: src/LV2/faust/bmfp.dsp -> build/default/src/LV2/faust/bmfp.cc
[319/683] dsp: src/LV2/faust/lowpass_up.dsp -> build/default/src/LV2/faust/lowpass_up.cc
faust: evaluate/eval.cpp:803: CTree* iteratePar(Tree, int, Tree, Tree, Tree): Assertion `num>0' failed.
Aborted
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "../tools/dsp2cc", line 1746, in <module>
    main()
  File "../tools/dsp2cc", line 1726, in main
    options)
  File "../tools/dsp2cc", line 462, in __init__
    self.headvers = self.skip_until(r"\s*//\s*(Code generated with Faust.*)").group(1)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'group'
Waf: Leaving directory `/home/john/guitarix/trunk/build'
Build failed:  -> task failed (err #1):
   {task: dsp lowpass_up.dsp -> lowpass_up.cc}
gtrman

Postby brummer10 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:43 pm

try to build without faust, use the
Code: Select all
 --no-faust

configure flag. We need to update the minimum required faust version to 0.9.56
brummer10