how to create Impulse Response files

Create your own Impulse Response files

Re: how to create Impulse Response files

Postby brummer10 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:23 am

Hi borla

Welcome to the forum.

borla wrote:So, when I first started Guitarix, I was wondering about amp impulses and had no idea where to put them in a "complete" signal chain like Tubeamp -> Tonestack -> Cabinet (I think it's best between Tube and Tone).

Well, the amp impulses are IR-files from Amps, without the influence of the speakers. They may be best use instead the tonestacks.
borla wrote:And if so: How can one do an amp IR without it's tubes or speakers? Or are they doubled when combining an amp IR (which already includes tubes- and speakersound) and the Guitarix tubeamp and cabinets?

IR files are mostly done by comparing sounds and de-convolve the difference. But, the non-linear part will never be part of this process. So, at least, a IR-file is a EQ curve which represent the Spectrum of what ever you could imagine. This could be a Church, a Cup, or a Floor, from which you cover the room response (Echo and reverb been linear operations), or, even a amp, a speaker or a MIC, from which you cover the Frequency Response.
But, to be honest, they arn't done by me, I've found them floating around in the Net, just striped them down a bit.

regards
hermann
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby borla » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi brummer10,

Oh, "instead of the tonestack"... thats interesting... I thought an amp impulse would replace the complete amp (thinking of it as a unit of tubes, tonestack and speakers). A bit like the Kemper does (the process of making an IR reminds me of "kempering"). - That gave me the idea of doubling the whole machine when using Tubes-Tonestack-Cabinet AND Amp Impulse.

Yesterday I installed specmatch and will check this out the next days. I have no idea what sound to copy, as I am no metalhead and sold all my great amps (Vox AC-30, Roland Jazz Chorus 120, Fender Deluxe Reverb) in the 80's :cry: I think I will do a test with my Harley Benton HB-20G amp :lol:
A poor machine, of course, but it sounds different to my dry guitar on the soundcard and a difference is just what is needed, isn't it?

Cheers,
borla
borla

Postby brummer10 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:25 pm

borla wrote:A bit like the Kemper does (the process of making an IR reminds me of "kempering")

Well, "kempering", requires a bit more then just convolution. I'm sure, that convolution is part of the process in the kemper amp, but that alone wouldn't match. As pointed out, the non-linear part of a amp, can't be reproduced by a IR-file, that is the big secret how Kemper does that. Any tube, also any transistor, has a nonlinear part in the amplification, reproduce this, isn't as easy as it seems.

However, in guitarix, with specmatch, we cover the IR-part, to say the EQ'ing. The non-linear part is leaving to you, by use a selected tube, the tube-screamer, a fuzz plugin, or what ever is needed. Were Kemper use a couple of high quality algorithm to fetch the kind and deep of the non-linear part in the signal, you are asked to adjust the settings in guitarix and compare it with your ears. Then, you could "kempering", indeed, but not with the comfort you'll have with the original Kemper amp simulation.

Hope you enjoy specmatch

regards
hermann
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby borla » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:55 pm

Hi brummer10,
Well, real kempering is not important for me, as I have enough very good sounding stuff (like guitarix) here.
It's just interesting (I looked around and found things like "ExpoChirpBox" with PD and a Pdf entitled "MODELING OF NONLINEAR AUDIO SYSTEMS USING SWEPT-SINE SIGNALS: APPLICATION TO AUDIO EFFECTS" but of course thats not my world :shock: ).

So, guitarix is - like the other amp simulators - a hybrid thing of digitally built tubes/valves (nonlinear parts) and some IR's EQ spectrums (linear parts). But with specmatch I can design my very personal IRs right now. Thats pretty cool 8-)
I think, you guys have set the new standard for virtual guitaring :) under Linux :metal:

Do you plan to make specmatch part of guitarix as a plug in?

all the best 4 u,
borla
borla

Postby brummer10 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:09 am

borla wrote:Do you plan to make specmatch part of guitarix as a plug in?

Hi borla

No, specmatch is a plug-on, means it needs to run on top of guitarix.

regards
hermann
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby Ingo4712 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:29 pm

Hey,
I have installed specmatch as described but get the following error when I try to start:

Code: Select all
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./specmatch", line 2, in <module>
    from specmatch.ui import main
ImportError: No module named specmatch.ui

I have tried to start the script in:
specmatch/scripts

because my command line does not know about specmatch.

Any hints?

Thx
Ingo
Ingo4712

Postby brummer10 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:24 am

Hi Ingo

Have you download specmatch from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/guitar ... specmatch/
and followed the instructions from there?

Ingo4712 wrote:I have tried to start the script in:
specmatch/scripts

because my command line does not know about specmatch.

That means something during the install process fail, don't you get a error message when you try to install?

You cant run the script without installation.
brummer10
Site Admin

Previous

Return to specmatch